photo credit: kmcdphotography
Dave Anderson is a bass player with over thirty years' experience performing and recording in a wide range of genres. His credits span a range of world class artists in jazz, R&B, pop, folk rock, fusion, world music, and more. His recent work includes associations with Blood Sweat & Tears, Art Garfunkel, Bill Evans Soulgrass, Bob Baldwin, Smokey Robinson, Special EFX, Kate Taylor, and others. His numerous past credits include Regina Carter, Joe Beck, Marion Meadows, Warren Hill, and many others. For more information, please follow the appropriate links from the menus above. You can stay in the loop and get info on appearances by checking the performances page or joining him on facebook. If you're an artist, producer, studio owner, contractor, or fellow musician and want to contact Dave, follow the contact link above and peruse the audio and video pages for examples of his work.
• The new Bill Evans Soulgrass CD, Live in Moscow!, has been released, featuring slamming renditions of new material as well as songs from Bill's last several albums. It was recorded in 2013 on the band's state department tour of Russia at the American Embassy and several other venues. On sale now at the band's live appearances. Check back here or visit Bill's site soon for online purchasing.
• Don Harris and Dave appeared as two-thirds of Anderson Harris MacNeal at the Conscious Music Festival in Newtown CT on 9/21/14 (Tyger was predisposed playing with José Feliciano in Puerto Rico), and blew the roof off the place, sending the assembled crowd into a frenzy. Luckily for us the concert was recorded – look for a taste on the audio page soon...
• New Bill Evans Soulgrass CD Live in Moscow to be released soon, recorded on the band's state department tour of Russia fall '13.
• Bill Evans Soulgrass EU tour Oct-Nov 2014. Dates to be anounced shortly.
• 2014 is shaping up to be an exciting year – touring with Bill Evan's Soulgrass, shows with Brian Simpson, Jeff Kashiwa, Bob Baldwin, Jay Prince & Friends, the Hollywood All-Stars and many others. Keep an eye on the performances page as dates come in and are confirmed...
• DDT, Dave's power trio with Don Harris on trumpet and Tyger MacNeal on drums and percussion, is writing and recording when they have time off between tours with Nile Rodgers (Don) and Jose Feliciano (Tyger). Concerts and clinics are in the works for this year.
• Dave was featured in an article in the Danbury News Times and Connecticut Post. Read it here.
• Dave's with saxophonist Steve Cole in Reading PA 10/11 and NYC 10/12 for album release shows...
•Special guests at Soulgrass Chicago shows 9/21-22 will be members of Umphry's McGee! They'll play our tunes... we'll play their tunes... it'll be out of control...
•Dave's in Tokyo this week 9/13-15 at the Cotton Club with the great saxophonist Nelson Rangell and a great band of old friends: Jay Rowe/kbds and Lionel Cordew/dms.
•Soulgrass Europe tour Oct-Nov '13! Dates and more details coming soon...
•Soulgrass California tour coming up 9/4-9/9! Check here for more info...
•Soulgrass destroyed the the Allman Bros.' Peach Festival in PA 8/17. Super bass excitement as the Allmans's Oteil Burbridge joined Bill and the band on six-string bass for two-bass craziness, along with the band's new regular irregular honorary member, Danny Louis of Govt. Mule, to blast soulgrass tunes into the minds of a sea of unsuspecting technicolor freaks.
•Off the charts excitement with Bill Evans Soulgrass at Jazz Alley in Seattle WA 7/30-8/1. Special guests Steve Kimock and Jeff Pevar blasting off in a thousand new directions. Every night is new and different. This band is going to be at the top of the jam scene in short order.
•Dave will be performing at the Hartford Jazz Festival July 7th with Bob Baldwin and additionally backing up Eric Darius, Tom Browne, and Walter Beasley. All the artists will be part of a jam session at the end of the show.
•Dave will be contributing bass tracks to saxophonist Paula Atherton's new disc, currently in production.
•Dave performed several reunion gigs with Bill Evan’s Soulgrass earlier this year (he toured with a different version of the band from 2007-2009). The show at The Blockley in Philadelphia PA included special guest John Medeski. Here’s a clip from that night. The band, including Dave, will be performing at Mountain Jam, one of the biggest jam band festivals of the summer, on June 8, and other dates this summer.
•And yet more Soulgrass updates: a taper at the show has put the Mountain Jam show up for listening on their site.
•Dave’s collaborative improvisational trio, DDT, with Tyger MacNeal and Don Harris, will be performing this year when everyone takes a breather from their touring duties (Don with Nile Rodgers & Chic; Tyger with Jose Feliciano). There’s some great audio/video from their performance last year at The Fez in Stamford CT which will be posted soon.
•Dave and Tyger MacNeal got together recently at Flying Squirrel studio (Dave’s home studio in New Fairfield CT) to record some free improv bass and percussion utilizing Tyger’s new hybrid electronic/acoustic drum/percussion rig. Material from this and additional sessions will be making its way onto a project for release.
•Dave recently played on a great album of new songs by songwriter Ken Kirsh entitled Failing Forward, and was actively involved in developing the project, assisting with contracting, production and arranging, and engineering. Ken will be presenting the music live this year with many of the musicians and singers appearing on the recording.
•Dave’s part of a great new local project called the Hollywood All-Stars, led by keyboardist “Hollywood” Steve Gaspar. The material is in the James Brown/Tower of Power vein with a jam band vibe. Watch for upcoming shows around CT and Westchester NY.
•Dave is busy recording, both at his own studio, Flying Squirrel, and many others, when he's not travelling. He's currently preparing guitarist Chad McLaughlin's new material for release, among other projects. For a complete discography of commercial releases Dave’s played on, check here.