•Dave's part of the house band once again at Jay Rowe's 17th annual Smooth Jazz For Scholars concerts in Milford CT. Artists include Brian Simpson, Nick Colionne, Steve Oliver, Chieli Minucci, Marion Meadows, Jessy J, and Eric Darius.
• Dave's been the go-to guy for years for the best guitar players around, and the trend continues with Tony DePaolo, Burr Johnson, and Matt Finck's Fat Mink. Check the schedule for info on upcoming appearances.
• Dave's got several great regular gigs in NY and CT that are well worth a trip to pop in. Timmy Maia's Vinyl Music Mondays at The Tipping Chair in Milldale CT features a stellar band that focuses on the great pop/R&B of the Eighties – Stevie Wonder, Toto, Al Jarreau, and more. Tim Veeder leads an fantastic quartet playing great modern acoustic jazz and standards at Anthony's in White Plains NY, featuring the astonishing NY pianist Enrique Haneine. And keep your eyes peeled on the performances page for gigs at Dogwood and Quinn's in Beacon NY with Tony DePaolo too...
•Dave worked with over fifty different artists, bands, producers, and offices in 2018! He'd like to thank everyone who helped make it another busy year and kept him at the top of their call lists.
•Dave appears once again in the house band for the 2018 Long Island Music Hall of Fame awards show, performing with the legendary songwriter Jimmy Webb and others.
• A busy summer as Dave appears with Bob Baldwin, Jeff Kashiwa, Bernie Williams, Chieli Minucci, Andy Snitzer, Reelin' In The Years, Jay Prince & Friends, Tony DePaolo, Neil Alexander, Matt Finck, Joey Berkley, Rob Tardik and other great bands and artists. Check the performances page for details.
• Dave performs again as part of the house band for Jay Rowe's 16th annual Smooth Jazz For Scholars concert to benefit the Milford CT public school music programs. This year's featured artists include David Benoit, Marc Antoine, Marion Meadows, Jessy J, Nelson Rangell, Matt Marshak and Paul Taylor. More info from the New Haven Register article and Jay's site.
• Dave's co-led electronic improvisational group with Tyger MacNeal and Don Harris, The New Dinosaurs, will be appearing March 27 as part of the Arts & Culture Collaborative's Kaleidoscope arts networking event, featuring a multimedia performance with a dance troupe from the Brass City Ballet and live visual artist. More info on the ACC website here, and an article in Voices here.
• Dave will be launching a new page here soon: The Flying Squirrel Vault! The Vault will offer unreleased recordings featuring Dave with an array of creative collaborators from sessions at Flying Squirrel studio in New Fairfield CT from 2000 to the present.
• The Jones Factor, John Fumasoli's ten piece jazz/fusion big band, has been tracking at Jason Polise's studio, Stamford Recording. Material from those sessions and from Dave's Flying Squirrel studio is being edited and mixed by Dave for the group's upcoming release.
• The New Dinosaurs, Dave's co-led power trio with trumpeter Don Harris and drummer Tyger MacNeal, will be gearing up for new recording and performances this fall. Watch for a dedicated page here, along with audio and video.
• The Bill Evans Band performs at the Rochester Jazz Fest in June, with special guests Dean Brown and Keith Carlock.
• The Bill Evans Band performs in August at the Energy Expo 2017 in Astana, Kazakhstan on a festival bill including Billy Cobham, Lee Ritenour and Marcus Miller.
• Dave's gearing up for a busy summer with a number of artists he performs with regularly, as well as some exciting new faces. Upcoming shows include Smokey Robinson, Smooth Jazz for Scholars, Special EFX, Chris Geith, The Colbys, Bill Evans, Bernie Williams, Burr Johnson, and more. He's also at work on soon-to-be-released projects at Flying Squirrel Studio in New Fairfield CT. Check the performances page for updates as appearances are confirmed.
• Dave will be appearing with Marion Meadows at his annual Christmas show at Toad's Place in New Haven CT. Dave toured the US with Marion in 1994 as a member of his touring band and has appeared on several recordings with him, including Body Rhythm, The Carols of Christmas and Winter's Solstice VI.
• Dave will once again be part of the house band for the LI Music Hall of Fame awards show at The Space in Westbury LI. Featured artists Dave will perform with include Steve Vai, David Johansen, Garland Jefferys, Vince Giordano, Johnny Farina, and others.
•The Bill Evans Band will be in Europe for their third tour there this year with dates in Greece, Germany and Austria, followed by concerts in Mexico and China. Check the performances page and Bill's site for details.
•Dave's reuniting with jazz/fusion guitar legend Tony Purrone for several upcoming dates. Dave performed with Tony's trio from 1990-2008 and appeared on several of his recordings from that period, including his debut solo album Electric Poetry, featuring Bob Mintzer and Ray Marchica.
• Dave's busy this month in the studio writing and recording for his collaborative project The New Dinosaurs, with Don Harris and Tyger MacNeal, as well as wrapping up the newest Jones Factor recordings, all in-between live shows with Smokey Robinson, Bob Baldwin, and more.
• Dave would like to acknowledge, with sadness, the unexpected passing of fellow bassist Eric Udel. Eric was a busy and respected player on the NY scene for many years, and had toured most recently with the Original Blues Brothers Band.
• The Bill Evans Band, with Bryan Baker and Joel Rosenblatt, will be back in Europe in August for CD release shows to support Bill's latest release Rise Above. Check Bill's site for updates as dates are announced.
• July will be a smooth jazz-filled month as Dave performs concerts with several great artists including Steve Cole, Brian Simpson, the Sax Pack, and a double bill with Marc Antoine and Nelson Rangell. See the performances page for details.
• Klyde Jones, bassist and vocalist with Hall & Oates, will return to Daryl's Place in Pawling NY June 12 to present his original music. Klyde hands bass duties to Dave as he fronts the band on vocals and guitar.
• Bill Evans' new disc, Rise Above, is being released this month, and features Gregg Allman, Warren Haynes, JJ Grey, Mike Stern, Murali Coryell and many other greats, along with Bill's touring band. Dave is featured on nine of the album's ten tracks. Visit iTunes or Amazon to purchase.
• Dave appears on saxophonist Matt Criscuolo's newest release, The Dialogue, featuring guitarist Tony Purrone and drummer Will Calhoun. Downbeat gave the disc three and a half stars, commenting that "Electric bassist Dave Anderson is an ideal match, locking into fat grooves when needed and intuitively navigating the free numbers with poise..."
• Dave will be performing several concerts this month with Motown legend Smokey Robinson. See the performances page for details.
• The Jones Factor, a ten piece jazz/fusion ensemble led by trombonist John Fumisoli, is currently recording their upcoming album at Dave's Flying Squirrel studio in New Fairfield CT. Dave has performed and recorded with the group since 1988.
• The Bill Evans Band will be in Europe April 2016 for the "Rise Above" tour, presented by Sgent Nation. Watch the promo clip here. For a list of dates and venues, check Bill's site and my performances page. Watch for Bill's new disc, Rise Above, to be released soon, featuring Greg Allman, Warren Haynes, JJ Grey, and other top jazz/jam stars.
• Dave will be at NAMM 2015 in Anaheim CA performing at Hammond's SoundSoulSummit with Gregg Rolie (Santana; Journey) and Ellis Hall/Bill Champlin (Tower of Power/Chicago) Friday night Jan 23 at the Hilton. More info here from Hammond's site.
• Dave will be musical director and bassist once again for Failing Forward: the Bluesical at the Cutting Room March 18. Featured vocalists will be Tom Bowes and Chrissi Poland along with the regular cast of thousands. Check here for more info.
• Bill Evans Soulgrass will be touring Russia Mar 23 – Apr 9 with a lineup including Joel Rosenblatt, Mitch Stein and special guest Murali Coryell. The group last toured Russia in 2013 and recorded their latest live CD "Live in Moscow" on that trip. Check Bill's site for a list of dates.
• Dave is on tour with the Bill Evans Band in Netherlands, Germany and Sweden May 21 – May 31. Check Bill's site for details.
• Dave will be on tour in China with Grammy award-winning flutist Rhonda Larson in October.
• Dave recently appeared as part of Hall & Oates band member Klyde Jones' show at Daryl's House. The group performed material from Klyde's recordings as well as some classic R&B. A special highlight was the legendary Ernest Wright of Little Anthony & the Imperials sitting in with his daughter Nicole.
• Dave performed again recently with incendiary British guitarist Paul Rose along with Thierry Arpino and Rob Aries. Look for more upcoming dates this year...
• The new Bill Evans Soulgrass CD, Live in Moscow!, has been released, featuring slamming renditions of new material as well as songs from Bill's last several albums. It was recorded in 2013 on the band's state department tour of Russia at the American Embassy and several other venues. On sale now at the band's live appearances. Check back here or visit Bill's site soon for online purchasing.
• Don Harris and Dave appeared as two-thirds of Anderson Harris MacNeal at the Conscious Music Festival in Newtown CT on 9/21/14 (Tyger was predisposed playing with José Feliciano in Puerto Rico), and blew the roof off the place, sending the assembled crowd into a frenzy. Luckily for us the concert was recorded – look for a taste on the audio page soon...
• New Bill Evans Soulgrass CD Live in Moscow to be released soon, recorded on the band's state department tour of Russia fall '13.
• Bill Evans Soulgrass EU tour Oct-Nov 2014. Dates to be anounced shortly.
• 2014 is shaping up to be an exciting year – touring with Bill Evan's Soulgrass, shows with Brian Simpson, Jeff Kashiwa, Bob Baldwin, Jay Prince & Friends, the Hollywood All-Stars and many others. Keep an eye on the performances page as dates come in and are confirmed...
• DDT, Dave's power trio with Don Harris on trumpet and Tyger MacNeal on drums and percussion, is writing and recording when they have time off between tours with Nile Rodgers (Don) and Jose Feliciano (Tyger). Concerts and clinics are in the works for this year.
• Dave was featured in an article in the Danbury News Times and Connecticut Post. Read it here.
• Dave's with saxophonist Steve Cole in Reading PA 10/11 and NYC 10/12 for album release shows...
•Special guests at Soulgrass Chicago shows 9/21-22 will be members of Umphry's McGee! They'll play our tunes... we'll play their tunes... it'll be out of control...
•Dave's in Tokyo this week 9/13-15 at the Cotton Club with the great saxophonist Nelson Rangell and a great band of old friends: Jay Rowe/kbds and Lionel Cordew/dms.
•Soulgrass Europe tour Oct-Nov '13! Dates and more details coming soon...
•Soulgrass California tour coming up 9/4-9/9! Check here for more info...
•Soulgrass destroyed the the Allman Bros.' Peach Festival in PA 8/17. Super bass excitement as the Allmans's Oteil Burbridge joined Bill and the band on six-string bass for two-bass craziness, along with the band's new regular irregular honorary member, Danny Louis of Govt. Mule, to blast soulgrass tunes into the minds of a sea of unsuspecting technicolor freaks.
•Off the charts excitement with Bill Evans Soulgrass at Jazz Alley in Seattle WA 7/30-8/1. Special guests Steve Kimock and Jeff Pevar blasting off in a thousand new directions. Every night is new and different. This band is going to be at the top of the jam scene in short order.
•Dave will be performing at the Hartford Jazz Festival July 7th with Bob Baldwin and additionally backing up Eric Darius, Tom Browne, and Walter Beasley. All the artists will be part of a jam session at the end of the show.
Update: Bob, Eric, Tom and Walter tore the roof off the festival! The band was killin': Tony Lewis and Phil Hamilton threw down with some heinous funk...
•Dave will be contributing bass tracks to saxophonist Paula Atherton's new disc, currently in production.
Update: Dave, Drummer Lionel Cordew and keyboardist Jorgen Kjaer recorded a great new tune of Paula's entitled Carnivale at Paula and Lou Gimenez's studio in Elmont NY.
•Dave performed several reunion gigs with Bill Evan’s Soulgrass earlier this year (he toured with a different version of the band from 2007-2009). The show at The Blockley in Philadelphia PA included special guest John Medeski. Here’s a clip from that night. The band, including Dave, will be performing at Mountain Jam, one of the biggest jam band festivals of the summer, on June 8, and other dates this summer.
Update: Soulgrass absolutely decimated Mountain Jam, with the help of special guests Warren Haynes and Danny Louis from Gov't Mule. Several attendees opined that Bill's set was the best thing they had heard all weekend. Look for youtube clips to start popping up at a browser near you...
•And yet more Soulgrass updates: a taper at the show has put the Mountain Jam show up for listening on their site.
•Dave’s collaborative improvisational trio, DDT, with Tyger MacNeal and Don Harris, will be performing this year when everyone takes a breather from their touring duties (Don with Nile Rodgers & Chic; Tyger with Jose Feliciano). There’s some great audio/video from their performance last year at The Fez in Stamford CT which will be posted soon.
•Dave and Tyger MacNeal got together recently at Flying Squirrel studio (Dave’s home studio in New Fairfield CT) to record some free improv bass and percussion utilizing Tyger’s new hybrid electronic/acoustic drum/percussion rig. Material from this and additional sessions will be making its way onto a project for release.
•Dave recently played on a great album of new songs by songwriter Ken Kirsh entitled Failing Forward, and was actively involved in developing the project, assisting with contracting, production and arranging, and engineering. Ken will be presenting the music live this year with many of the musicians and singers appearing on the recording.
•Dave’s part of a great new local project called the Hollywood All-Stars, led by keyboardist “Hollywood” Steve Gaspar. The material is in the James Brown/Tower of Power vein with a jam band vibe. Watch for upcoming shows around CT and Westchester NY.
•Dave is busy recording, both at his own studio, Flying Squirrel, and many others, when he's not travelling. He's currently preparing guitarist Chad McLaughlin's new material for release, among other projects. For a complete discography of commercial releases Dave’s played on, check here.